Emilie Laffray wrote:

> 2009/9/24 John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com
> <mailto:deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>>
>
>     > if someone likes to add it so let them do it. osm  means open ....
>
>     What does "street map" mean?
>

> I don't think that sticking to the name will get us anywhere. OSM has
> reached a stage where we are not just mapping streets any more. I mean
> we have administrative boundaries, zoos, golf courses, etc... Everyone
> is finding what they want in Open Street Maps. It is in the nature of
> the project to evolve that way.
> Also, there is something else to keep in mind. There are a number of
> us that believe that while we need some basic rules to keep things
> consistent, everything should be free to evolve on their own. There
> are a few proeminent contributors with the anarchy tag on their wiki
> pages.

...And yet cry like girls when their internet connection goes down :-)

I believe that the rules are a bit too lax & needs tightening up. If you
look at the Tagwatch-Source link from earlier:

http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Great_britain/En/ignored_source.html

How many of those have just one Count against them?

I mean "GPS (drove down there by mistake)
<http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/osmxapi/*%5Bsource=GPS%20%28drove%20down%20there%20by%20mistake%29%5D>".
 Oh for crying out loud!!

The problem with this is for the renderers.
OK I know what your going to say, DMFTR, but I think that's wrong. (I've even
been told the data is the only important thing in OSM!)

Say somebody is out for a country walk, or wants to know the quickest way to
get out of Vegas they're never going to say 'Ooh what nice XML file you've got
there, so well formatted'. They want to see a clear, accurate map or an
accurate route list of every turning to take.

See it from the renderers/routers point of view. Their product is going to be
judged on quality of the output. They're not going to spend their time getting
their map to render properly /all /the tags with just one count.
This will leave gaps in the map.

As they have no control over the data I think most renderers will either give
up or not even bother to start with.

To help with the problem the editors need to have a more complete predefined
options list to steer people in the right direction & cut down on spelling
mistakes

I realise Source tag is not relevant to mapping but you know get the point.

Cheers
Dave F.