On 30 Sep 2009, at 20:46 , Russ Nelson wrote:

> Dave F. writes:
>> Russ Nelson wrote:
>>> -1.  Don't confuse anarchy with chaos.  SteveC is our leader (and
>>> should behave as such by Giving Advice), but he's only our leader so
>>> far as he gives Good Advice.
>>>

>> A leader in an anarchic state? How does that work? ;-)
>
> Exactly as I just described, although perhaps more clearly than that.
> SteveC has no power to force me to use 1 for true or -1 for false, or
> 0 for false.  And yet if SteveC said "folks, let's use yes and no as
> binary values, and not 1, 0, or -1." most people would do as he says.
> Not because he is forcing them, or is going to take all his marbles
> and go home, or is going to dismiss *...@cloudmade, or will say bad
> words to people.

If he says only few people will even notice. if josm/potlatch use them
as presets 90% will follow

> No, he is a leader because we respect him.  THAT is how leaders in
> an anarchic state arise.

yes he is a leader and as such deserves respect. he should lead some
useful and intelligent projects and don't loose a word about this
childish 1/0/yes/no/true/false discussions.
a consumer of the data has to do a bit more work but this is a small
fee for free access to an amazing database.