Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2009, at 20:46 , Russ Nelson wrote:
>
>> Dave F. writes:
>>>>

>>> A leader in an anarchic state? How does that work? ;-)
>>
>> Exactly as I just described, although perhaps more clearly than that.
>> SteveC has no power to force me to use 1 for true or -1 for false, or
>> 0 for false.  And yet if SteveC said "folks, let's use yes and no as
>> binary values, and not 1, 0, or -1." most people would do as he says.
>> Not because he is forcing them, or is going to take all his marbles
>> and go home, or is going to dismiss *...@cloudmade, or will say bad
>> words to people.
>>

> If he says only few people will even notice. if josm/potlatch use them
> as presets 90% will follow
>
>> No, he is a leader because we respect him.  THAT is how leaders in
>> an anarchic state arise.
>>

> yes he is a leader and as such deserves respect. he should lead some
> useful and intelligent projects and don't loose a word about this
> childish 1/0/yes/no/true/false discussions.
> a consumer of the data has to do a bit more work but this is a small
> fee for free access to an amazing database.

I find it disappointing you think this discussion childish. As Eugene
pointed out it's only the tone of the people that post that would make
it so not the subject matter.

I'm finding this thread a good learning experience about OSM & it's
mappers. Not always a positive one, I have to admit, but I can't have
everything.

If the consumers had to do less work then OSM would get *more*
consumers. Which is half the point of the exercise, isn't it?
To pass on an easily solved problem like this for others to sort out is,
as I said before IMO - selfish.

The expression "take responsibility for your own actions" doesn't appear
to carry much weight around here.

Cheers
Dave F.

Cheers