David Earl <david <at> frankieandshadow.com> writes:

>I think it would be really helpful to bring together the tag definitions
>into one place, *in the database and API itself*. I mean a complete
>schema: the tags, their possible values, their descriptions (in multiple
>languages), their equivalences both in other languages and synonyms,
>their related tags (in essence properties of the main descriptive tag,
>hence oneway=... with highway=...), deprecations and so on.

+1.

>And I think this gets changed as other objects in the database get
>changed: freely but consciously. So if there is a new value for shop, it
>is a conscious act to add that to the list of values for shop, and to
>describe it, not just casually adding it as a tag value.

Ideally, there would be some kind of prompt or reminder: you recently
tagged a node with shop=antiques; if this was intentional, please go
to whatever/tags/shop and add the new value with a description.

Or, you recently tagged a node with shop=literature, but the database
(visible at whatever/tags/shop/literature) suggests that this is
deprecated in favour of shop=bookshop.  Perhaps you would like to change it?

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>