On 25/11/2009, at 14.11, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason's diary entry last week (http://j.mp/8ESP8o)
> stired my interest. Using a few examples, he showed how mapping
> everything as an area - or as a volume - makes ultimate sense.
> Should we
> go for it now ?

Talking about roads:

I don't see the point mapping roads as areas. There's not much you do
with an area that can't in principle be done using a line with
appropriate tagging. The problem is that the current tagging namespace
is too simple and not expressive enough to allow it. For example, if I
write

   highway=residential cycleway=track width=3

there's no way for you to know if "width=3" describes the cycleway or
the road itself.  In my view it would make much more sense to work on
a more expressive (perhaps BNF based?) tagging scheme. This would
enable a gradual enhancement of the map, where the new tagging syntax
could live along-side the old.

Areas are reminicent of the "map-drawing" approach to the map, in the
sense that mankind has been drawing maps  with paper and pencil for
thousands of years.  The "map-drawing approach" is valuable in OSM
because it allows us to indicate residential areas parks, etc.
However, in addition, OSM has a graph-based approach for a description
of the network of roads which makes it *uniquely* valuable. Graphs
prefectly represents the road map and can be used for many
applications, routing is an example that many people use daily.

Conversely, there isn't much you can do with graphs that can't be done
with areas, and since the "map-drawing" approach has great appeal to
people enjoying beautiful and detailed maps, the pressure for
deprecating the graph-based approach in favour of the map-drawing
approach will be ever increasing.

We need to resist that. Let's not throw out the baby with the bath-
water!

Cheers,
Morten