I always put stiles and gates offset from any vehicular highway just near
the beginning of the relevant pedestrian way - even if this means creating a
stub for the pedestrian way where this has yet to be surveyed (and then the
stub also serves as a reminder to go back and do the additional mapping!).
The problems with placing the barrier on the vehicular highway or at the
intersection node are clear!

Mike Harris