I always use layer= , even when there is only a single bridge. It avoids
problems with the validator and - crucially - makes it clear that the two
crossing ways do not have access to each other. (It also improves rendering
but I probably  shouldn't mention that or I'll get flamed!).

Example - common in my area:

If a hiking trail crosses over a canal (and its towpath) by a bridge then
bridge=yes and layer=1 makes it clear that the canal and the trail are at
two different vertical levels and that you cannot get from the trail to the
towpath of the canal.

If there is a ramp or steps from the hiking trail to give access to the
towpath this can then be added as a separate way in the appropriate place.
There is a theoretical dilemma as to what layer to give the ramp but I
usually default to level=0 unless there is a special complexity at a
particular junction that needs more explicit layering.

Mike Harris