Disclaimer: IANAL and the following is in the Australian context.

Quoting Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:

> But...where do you get the street name from?

The street sign on-site.  You could argue you have copyright exemption through:

"Buildings and models of buildings"
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s66.html

> I think there's a general
> policy that you can't copy it off other maps...but why, exactly?

Because in Australia, at least, it is ambiguous if "sweat of the brow" copyright
is legitimate.  Think the DTMS and IceTV cases (reproduction of telephone
directories and TV schedules, respectively).

> How can a
> piece of information like the name of the street be copyright?

Well somebody had to creatively apply a name to a road, usually in the
development application and/or the survey plan.

> Whose
> copyright law are we dealing with, anyway?

Probably some combination of the developer (or his development company), or the
local government authority that registers the development applications, or the
state government that registers the survey plans.  It all depends on what body
the copyright what assigned to as part of the contract for DA or SP
registration.  One of these days I'll have to do that research...

Brendan