Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
> Andreas Labres wrote:
>> Patrick from talk-at found this by chance: http://openmaps.eu/ They
>> seem to be reinventing the wheel, somehow...
>
> I sent their proeminent members (papa71, kepenu, KiVi, peter68,
> Trackman and BigMick) a gentle enquiry through their forum's internal
> mail system; that's the best I could do for lack of any other contact
> option. We'll see if they reply.

I just received an extensive answer from Trackman (Zaka Ferenc
<za...@elte.hu>) and he allowed me to forward it to
talk@openstreetmap.org for further discussion. Please make
sure you keep his address in the cc: field of your answers as he is not
subscribed to this list.

As he points out, license compatibility (cf.
http://openmaps.eu/copyright ) is certainly the main issue for
collaboration. There are also issues of technical, methodological and
organizationals differences - but I believe they could be worked over
with proper procedures and explanations. Licensing is the much bigger
obstacle.

Please read his explanations and tell us your thoughts about which
possibilities may exist for collaboration between OpenStreetMap and
Openmaps.eu and how we might get there.