With Haitians' comments below the linked article...

-------- Message original --------
Sujet :         [CrisisMappers] US Special Forces to build new runway outside
PaP
Date :  Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:50:00 -0500
De :    Patrick Meier (CrisisMappers) <patr...@crisismappers.net>
Répondre à :    crisismapp...@googlegroups.com
Pour :  crisismappers <crisismapp...@googlegroups.com>
Copie à :       Caroline Andresen <andresen.carol...@gmail.com>

>From Fletcher Situation Room - Radio Team

---
Patrick,

I just heard on a Haitian radio station that the US military is building an additional runway to deal with the "inundation of humanitarian aid flights" at the port au prince airport, which cannot handle all the traffic they were getting. The "piste" (landing strip or runway in english) should be open in the next 24 hours. It should be close to port au prince -- I can't remember if it was 20 km from PaP or 20 mins from PaP.

I heard it on Signal FM 90.5 at around 20:30 tonight.

And here is the french print news source corroborating the Haitian radio -- it will be in Jacmel. Built by US special forces. Will be used first to support Canadian operations south east of the city.

http://www.lenouvelliste.com/article.php?PubID=1&ArticleID=77920&PubDate=2010-01-19 <http://www.lenouvelliste.com/article.php?PubID=1&ArticleID=77920&PubDate=2010-01-19>

I hope this information is helpful and correct.

Caroline