On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Niklas Cholmkvist <towards...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I live in a place where I feel the need to map some streets as areas. If
> I start a little of such mapping, will routing software get confused?

How were you planning to achieve this?

Mapping streets (and other linear features) as areas has been
discussed many times on the tagging list. See e.g.
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-February/001389.html

There is still no consensus that I'm aware of for how to do this
(though I personally think a possible solution is to represent a road
as an area (for e.g. rendering) AND a way (for e.g. routing), and
relate them with a relation).

I would suggest bringing this up again (if you like) on
tagg...@openstreetmap.org, rather than talk@openstreetmap.org :)