Hi,

That is right - I should have posted something about it to this list too,
but I forgot!

OSM is one of ~150 organisations that have been accepted onto the programme,
along with OSGeo and Mapnik.

Between now and 29th March, would be students will choose which of the
accepted organisations they are interested in, and contact them to discuss
project ideas.   I would encourage any students interested in applying to
OSM to contact us before applying to discuss their ideas if possible.
The formal application period starts on  29th March and ends on 09th April
(See the
timeline<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010#Time_Line>
).

Students apply through the Google Summer of Code Web
Site<http://socghop.appspot.com/>.
Please apply formally as early as possible - you can edit your application
after submission and we can start reviewing it and make comments if you
submit it early.
Potential Mentors will review the applications and rank them to choose which
proposals are to be accepted.

Please would anyone who is interested in acting as a mentor contact me off
this list and we will sort out access to the site and discuss how to manage
the reviewing of applications.

Finally if any of you know a student that likes computer programming, please
encourage them to consider applying for the programme, and particularly to
OSM!.

Thank you all for your support.

Graham.

--