Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

>Tirkon,
>
>Tirkon wrote:
>> I found some discussions within OSM, that it would make sense to offer
>> an OSM editor especially for beginners. To make it easy enough, they
>> should not confuse the beginner with complicated stuff like relations
>> and thus not show and support them. But does that make sense?
>
>Not showing (i.e. shielding the user from) relations while secretly
>handling them might make sense if the editor does a good job.
>
>It will be much harder to write such an editor than to write an editor
>which has a relation editor and forces the user to deal with all the
>problems ;-)

I can imagine many examples, where this is not possible. Here is a
simple one: Assuming a straight street. way1 and way2 together
constitute a route-relation, but way3 does not belong to it. That
means the route-relation begins at node1 and ends at node3:
node1------way1--node2----way2--node3---way3----node4
All nodes are within a straight line. The user moves node3 within the
straight line. The street keeps the same form and length. But
afterwards the route begins at another point. How will you handle this
secretly?

How will you make clear to the user the consequences without showing
or knowledge of relations?

>Not supporting relations is impossible anyway; the API will not allow
>the deletion of a node that is part of a relation.

Will this apply to the node3 in the example above as well, because the
node itself is not member of the relation. It is only part of a way,
which is member of the relation.