Sorry i dont know Flash or ActionScript

and after thinking about it. it would be better to handle it on the server
and i dont know rails ruby or what it is called

but i have looked at the source and i think i have found the spot where the
change has to be made
in way.rb line 189

def add_tag_keyval(k, v)
    @tags = Hash.new unless @tags

    # duplicate tags are now forbidden, so we can't allow values
    # in the hash to be overwritten.
    raise OSM::APIDuplicateTagsError.new("way", self.id, k) if
@tags.include? k

    @tags[k] = v
  end

as i said before i dont know ruby, but a little googling i found strip
so i think that it should be

@tags[k.strip] = v.strip

there should also be a check if the trimmed v and k are empty and raise
errors accordingly

and the same changes should also be made in node.rb line 255

cheers
Martin (LiFo)