On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:35:32 +0800, Gregory <nomoregra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 24 April 2010 15:19, Renaud MICHEL
> <r.h.michel+...@gmail.com<r.h.michel%2b...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> I thought the consensus was not to abbreviate and always use the full
>> name?
>>
> I think Andrew was saying he sees signs that say "Some Rd" (sometimes
> fitson a smaller sign so cheaper) and wants to know what 'Rd' means to
> enter thefull word into OSM. It means Road of course, but others are
> harder to know.

That's what I meant. Yesterday I surveyed a "Foo Ce" and "Foo Mr" and they
needed a bit of research to find the full expansion.

Thanks to the people who emailed me the link to:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name_finder:Abbreviations

I'm now tempted to merge my list into the one on that page, except that
page has sorted the list by full name, rather than abbreviation, which is
less convenient for my purposes. If only it were possible to click table
headers to sort the data...

--
Andrew Gregory <mailto:and...@scss.com.au>
<http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/>