On 05/13/2010 06:26 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Robert Martinez <m...@mray.de <mailto:m...@mray.de>> wrote:

    Hello OpenStreetMappers,

    I would love to offer a special contribution to the project: a new
    logo!

    I hope the community (you) will give me some feedback and possibly
    help me to get the launch done.
    If there is any hoop to jump through let me know.
    If there has to be a competition, consider this my contribution.
    If I don't reach the right people via this mail, let me know.

    Here is my blogpost: http://freegital.de/osm-logo-proposal
    Here is the presentation:
    http://mray.de/sites/default/files/logoproposal_big.html

    Keep up the great work on this amazing project,
    and thank you very much for any feedback.

I quite like the logo. It adapted very nicely to a derivation I made for my upcoming Minneapolis mapping party:
http://www.mapminnesota.org/osm-mn.jpg

I'm not sure I could change your suggested logo to make it unique to my area and still retain links back to OSM to identify with the greater cause.

having a real map as part of the logo offers some nice opportunities indeed!
But there is a number of inherent problems with actual map data inside the logo, which is why I discarded any of my designs containing it:

- as Steve said already - there is too much going on inside there.
- then there is the issue with recognition, almost nobody would recognize certain elements clearly (as well as a certain outline) - scaling makes it impossible to retain the nice details you want to apply to the logo

my approach would be to use other means like typography to indicate association.
The free font would make this very easy to create a variation like this:

*logo*
OpenStreetMap
-Minnesota-

and then maybe use a certain color that you are already using on your project homepage.

Cheers,
Robert