On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the root of the discussion seems to have no basis in
> the tags, and seems entirely to be around rendering artefacts that you
> dislike.

What purpose do the _link tags serve other than rendering?

If there's a serious reason for tag-to-higher then we can add an
additional tag so people can record the status of what it links to
(and then we can render it any way we like). But I can't think of a
sensible reason for recording/using the higher status, except for
motorways, so it just seems like it's been copied from motorway_link
without thinking it through, is producing unintended results, and is
therefore an error that needs to be corrected.

If people have done that thinking through, and there's a genuine
reason for tag-to-higher for non-motorway roads, then I'd love to hear
about it. All the reaction so far seems to be a complaint about how I
did it, rather than the substance of the matter.

Andy's made one of the few moderately serious points: it's confusing
to treat them differently to motorway links. Not exactly a clincher,
if it's wrong for other reasons.

Richard Mann