Steve,

I might support a code of conduct with a limited scope, but we seem to be moving towards a broad project wide definition of values. I am rapidly cooling to the idea of more central planning being imposed on OSM. I have previously commented that OSM has not needed to impose much central decision making up to now. I particularly recommend these wikipedia policies to potential drafters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ignore_all_rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_bureaucracy

I am beginning to agree with Liz, and others, that this whole proposal is mainly motivated by the desire to censor dissent.

TimSC