On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:01:02PM +0100, 80n wrote:
> The license change is the biggest single issue facing OSM at this time.
> There are frequently complaints that people have not been aware that it was
> happening.  Shunting it off to legal-talk@ could be construed as a way of
> helping the process to happen by stealth and attrition.

I was one who complained (at least about the Contributor Terms, I was
quite aware of the ODbL)…

Anyhow, let me quote from my own mail:

> > I think it’s fine to see the odd legal query on talk, and maybe even a
> > reply or two, but any lengthy discussion involving the finer details
> > should really be referred to legal-talk, just because it’s there, and
> > people who have looked into the finer details, including the LWG, are
> > more likely to be paying attention to legal discussion there.

I don’t think it should be completely removed, just that any discussion
more than a reply or two should be referred to the relevant list.

As I also said in a later post, what’s wrong with bringing it to the
attention of talk list members, and referring discussion to the more
relevant list?  Anybody can join legal-talk, just like talk, and anybody
can view the archives.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall