On 11/09/2010, at 14.53, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:

2010/9/11 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com>:
On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 09:39, Morten Kjeldgaard <m...@bioxray.dk> wrote:
Yesterday I tried to upgrade JOSM on my trusty old Apple Powerbook G4. However, JOSM now needs Java 6SE, which is _not_ supported on OSX version 10.5 (Leopard). If you own a Mac with an Intel CPU, you can upgrade to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), but that is not an option for machines using the PPC
architecture.

I had to downgrade JOSM again to version 3376, which is the end-of- the-line version for Mac OS X running on a PPC chip. So, if you own a machine like
that, don't upgrade JOSM!

One thing you could do to run newer versions of JOSM is to install
Ubuntu or Debian on the machine and dual-boot it.

Heh, yes, but I don't really need to do that, since I have a few workstations and a netbook, all Ubuntu machines.

You might also try to contact apple and complain about their product philosophy.

Yeah, but to be fair, Apple has actually done quite a lot to keep old hardware and software working. When moving from the M68K platform to PPC, they supported the older architecture for years. When moving to OS X, they supported OS9 via an emulator for years; the support of that emulator stopped with OS 10.5.

The Intel transition happened in June 2006, four years ago, and so I grant you that giving up on the PPC for OS X 10.6 so soon is quite disappointing for Apple customers, especially given the fact that Apple hardware is very durable. My Powerbook from 2005 still looks great, I am happy with it, and has had no serious problems other than a hard-drive faiure a couple of years ago. Of course, it's not like my laptop suddenly stops working, however I will be seeing more and more problems like this, upgrading software. At some point, I will need new hardware. If that is in 2 years time, I will have gotten 7 useful years out of my purchase, which is not too bad.

There are other things I would much rather criticise Apple for; this is obviously the extremely closed nature of their iPhone/iPad platform, and I would never buy that hardware. This is stated by someone who has been an Apple fanboy/owner since 1985...

Sorry for this slightly OT discussion on talk :-)

Cheers,
Morten