Gorm E. Johnsen wrote:
> Again: Left and right co-exist nicely. I do not propose to convert between
> them. That is of course up to the individual mapper.
> Again: What I _do_ propose, is to rename a tag on some elements. From
> top to bottom in the example.

It's all right, you can stop explaining. People aren't disagreeing with you
because they don't understand your proposal. People are disagreeing with you
because they don't see the merits of it.

>From this distance, you simply haven't made a convincing case for why this
change should be made.

There is no actual evidence of data consumers finding that "highway=ford" is
a problem. People are not saying "my routing can't work because fords are in
the highway namespace". People aren't saying "I really want to tag
mini-roundabouts in fords and the current system doesn't let me". There
isn't actually a problem. Rather, you appear to be proposing it for some
mythical idea of "consistency" and because "it would be nice".

As SomeoneElse has pointed out, if you change it now, you _will_ break
existing uses of OSM. People who currently compile Garmin cycling maps of
OSM will find that fords suddenly disappear from their rendering, and users
of these maps will have a worse experience. Anyone who uses osm2pgsql will
have to employ an extra column for what is a fairly little-used tag. All
this for a change that achieves nothing.

Tag migrations do happen. Sometimes there are good reasons. I think, for
example, that moving highway=gate to barrier=gate was a sensible change and
enabled finer-grained tagging in the 'barrier' tag. But it was largely a
consensus-driven change and the database evolved from one to the other over
time.

Maybe one day someone will come up with a smart, genuinely beneficial idea
like that, and we can migrate the ford tagging over time. But they haven't
done yet.

Please. Go outside and do some mapping. Stay inside and code. Write or tidy
some documentation. Do something that makes a real _difference_.

cheers
Richard