Sorry to bring back this old topic...

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:56, Lennard <l...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 24-9-2010 11:38, Tiziano D'Angelo wrote:
>
> - The administrative boundary between some regions and autonomous
>> republics of North Caucasus was marked as country border [3] while it
>> should be merely an administrative one
>>

> Not wanting to get into border disputes, but admin_level=2 _is_ the
> national level, and 3 is subnational.

Found out that...the North Caucasus Republics borders within Russian
Federation are correctly tagged with admin level=3 as they are a subnational
entity (Federal District). But IMHO Mapnik shows them similarly to country
borders, this could lead to misunderstandings if one doesn't look at the
actual data...problem of the renderer???

--------

2010/9/24 Tiziano D'Angelo <tiziano.dang...@gmail.com>:
> - Depending on the points of view, the border Georgia / Abkhazia [4] now
> marked as an administrative can be marked as country border. For example,
> Kosovo is marked likewise (with a country border), although not recognized
> internationally by the majority of countries (36% of the total recognize
it)
> and it isn't even listed on ISO-3166-1 / UN [5], as well as Abkhazia (4 UN
> member states recognize it).
> From a "de facto" point of view (and for some countries "de jure")
Abkhazia
> is a fully independent state from Georgia (I noticed it personally while
> there) and as far as the Georgians say, it is no longer under Georgia's
> influence or control and it will be like that also in the future. What
would
> you say to a cartographic point of view? from a tourist point of view, for
> example, it is a separate entity from Georgia (you pass a border control,
> there is a visa...), so a tourist-oriented map would logically draw it as
> separate country.
> Generally speaking about any kind of disputed terriories, is there any way
> to keep both POV tagging boundaries as "Disputed" / "Recognized by Some
> states"/"something else"?
> Then, if we want to develop OSM in this country, it goes without saying
that
> if locals will see the boundaries as they are now (as part of Georgia
> region, unrealistic and not corresponding to reality), they will never
agree
> to use OSM! ... while it would be reasonable to use OSM extensively, since
> for example Google has no map of Abkhazia, and instead there's something
> already on OSM.
>
> - what is the standard for naming of places? What has to be put in name,
in
> int_name tags? Which is the scale of priority? local language I suppose...
> so capital of Abkhazia, Sukhum, should be tagged as name=Аҟəа (local
> abkhazian name) name:ru=Сухум name:ka= სოხუმი , int_name=Sukhum; Sukhumi ;
> etc...
> Is there a way to simultaneously display multiple names (like Google Maps
> showing the name in Cyrillic and transliterated Russian or English
version)?

About Abkhazia, after Kosovo, I discovered North Cyprus border (de facto) is
tagged as admin_level=2, even though it is recognized by only one country in
the world, as for the draft proposal that I saw in this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#10_admin_level_values_for_specific_countries
So the same tagging scheme could apply to Abkhazia as well, I guess. Or as
the iure status under Georgia would be autonomous republic, then level=3
Sorry to bring up again the issue, but my opinion is that all
countries/territories in the same de facto situation shall be tagged
likewise, so either admin_level = 2 for all or =4, or as compromise use
admin_level=3 in these situations. I'm happy to see that the proposal for
North Cyprus has been adopted.

Moreover, here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cyprus /
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule I found more
evidence that the scheme of naming should be the same as the mentioned
cases, so Abkhazian name in the name tag (cause it is definitely the on
ground version, and even official language for Georgia too in that de iure
autonomous republic) + all the other languages naming with their respective
tags.
In this case Abkhazian is written in cyrillic, so the international
better-known name is put into brackets next to the Abkhazian name for easier
understanding by non-Abkhazians. In fact, this exact scheme has been applied
by fellow mapper Ulrich Ludat in his edits this last month in Abkhazia.

Ulrich really made a great job improving greatly Abkhazia map situation,
maybe the issues weren't properly raised before because of the very little
mapping activity in that place???

thanks for the attention

Tiziano