On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 7:54 PM, S Omeone <someonew...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I haven't seen this mention before and I thought it might be of some
> interest here.
>
> Since sometime last year Google no longer used TeleAtlas for their map data
> in the
> USA but instead created their own map data.  It seems they have now
> extended
> their own data to 10 more countries including some in Europe Africa and

In South Africa's case that doesn't mean too much. The StreetView cars
didn't cover all the roads. So they had to buy  data from a commercial
vendor. That vendor has some quality issues (see the illegal route in the
link below). They also rely on government data that is no longer being
maintained.

So Google is not really smarter. They are relying on man power like everyone
else.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=-25.781959,28.291027&daddr=326+Edna+St,+Pretoria+0081,+South+Africa&hl=en&geocode=%3BCXVbiDH7YSbAFSendv4duLevASkdxtgEomCVHjEtejqmm6w9SA&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=-25.781141,28.290718&sspn=0.006975,0.009645&ie=UTF8&z=17