On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Mike N. <nice...@att.net> wrote:
> Recently I encountered a CSI-style mystery.  Why was the Skobbler lady (OSM
> Nav based) telling people to go jump off of so many bridges?   An inspection
> showed that the bridges were joined to the interstate highway below, but
> many interchanges otherwise had very high quality edits, with attention to
> many details.  So how did the people who made such skilled edits overlook
> false intersections?  It turns out that they didn't.  A history view shows
> the dreaded "Removing duplicate nodes" in the  change list.   The original
> edit just used JOSM's un(G)lue node command, leaving the dupe nodes in
> place.   A perfectly valid technique until the attack of the duplicate node
> bots.

Mike, please don't blame the bot. Ungluing a node an just leaving it
there, is really looking for trouble. Some routing engine(s) glue
nodes together that are less than a few centimeters from each other.
Now you may want to complain that those routing engine(s) are buggy,
but that "bug" has historically made things easier rather than more
difficult. And going forward, I expect it to continue to be a
"feature" rather than a bug.