Anthony <o...@inbox.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Richard Fairhurst
> <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
>>
>> Alex Mauer wrote:
>>> Which one were you thinking of?  I count two road types in your list:
>>> highway=track and highway=unclassified.  And it could be other highway=*
>>> types too.
>>
>> highway=track doesn't imply a road round here
>
> Is there some well accepted definition of "road" that you're using to
> make that statement?

Yes, a public or private way.  Something that would be shown in a zoning
map as being a parcel.  Someting the public has a reasoable expectation
of driving on.  As opposed to track which is a way to drive on a piece
of property that is not a parcel.

In Mass this is a legal distinction.  IIRC drunk driving, speeding,
etc. on a public or private way is an offense, but your own driveway is
not such a way.   As in if an airport owner lets you drive to 100 on the
runway that's not speeding.  But if it's a "road" then it is, even if a
private way.

I think this is pretty clearly understood even if the boundary is
slightly hazy.