The biggest problem we have is that were not important enough and too cluttered to attract in map adverts yet.

I think in the long run, it's not about adverts around the map, but ads in the map (of course the database should be advert free). Als our maps are still mainly for looking at, maximum autorouting, but few to noone uses them to search for specific stuff, so there is less incentive to promote your business by buying a logo for it (smallest thing to start with).

Google has to pay for map data, and still makes enough money with in map adverts to more than cover costs, but we miss a system for map producers, that is as simple as google adsense for websites, to place in map adverts.
I often think about how and where would be a good start to get it going!