Dermot McNally wrote:
> On 10 June 2011 22:16, TimSC <mappingli...@sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:
> > I think you are confusing "support the relicense" with "accept the
> > relicense" and that difference is significant.
>
> Not at all - I know of no form of democracy that distinguishes between
> grudging acceptance or evangelical zeal. In particular, in direct
> democracy such as a referendum, small groups always design the
> question that will be put to the electorate, tuning it as required so
> it will command the support of a sufficient majority while still
> achieving the goal.

OK, so the thread went into a different direction along the way, but above is
what my question originally was: what gave OSMF the power to be this small
group in the first place? The OSMF only had the purpose to support OSM and
suddenly it's now making the decisions?

If the OSMF really wants to be the governing power, and the OSM communitity
agrees to give them this power (by vote...), then fine, but please state so
beforehand so we could actually have participated in it if we wanted to.

But since the OSMF had (and still has) no mandate at all, they have just as
much power to make decisions on OSM as any other mapper.

Ben