On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 23:35 +0200, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2011/7/5 Matthias Meisser <dig...@arcor.de>:
> > Am Dienstag, den 05.07.2011, 19:48 +0200 schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> >> Maybe we can also open a discussion about this "related projects"
> >> list. IMHO googlemapmaker - although having a similar approach - is
> >> not "related to OSM". I'd delete all of the projects there that have a
> >> "no" in the license column, i.e. all copyrighted. IMHO OSM is not
> >> related to projects that collect proprietary data.
> > Sure, maybe we find a better topic than 'related' or sister projects.
> > Maybe 'other VGI' or something more strict?
>
> Why on earth should we give references to proprietary data projects
> like mapmaker in our wiki?

So the project doesnt appear to outsiders like we got our head stuck in
the sand?  We're not giving advertising space, we're giving one row in a
comparison column.  Can you suggest another way of showing the
comparison between OSM and other similar projects/sites, without
mentioning those projects/sites?

Besides, if that page only showed projects which follow the same licence
as OSM, the page would be pretty much empty, even the forks who are
almost identical to the OSM project in every way, wouldnt meet that
criteria.

I guess you could always just do what advertisements do and refer to
'the other leading map program', without referring to it by name.

David