Tagging with abbreviated names is tagging for the renderer. The database should
be as unambiguous as possible, and the renderer should apply local abbreviation
conventions.

This is "not the way anyone ever writes street names here in DC", you say. But
it's the way people in DC pronounce it, which is what a navigation system or an
audio map for blind users would do. Our database isn't just used to render
images.

"The renderer can use rules to de-abbreviate", you will say. It gets
complicated for ambiguous abbreviations — is St Saint or Street?