----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Nelson" <nel...@crynwr.com>
To: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] ODbL-clean Coastlines

Paul Norman writes:
> > It's particularly galling that anonymous users who haven't accepted or
> > declined are having their copyright respected. If you don't post your
> > land *with your name and address* in New York State, you cannot
> > successfully pursue a claim of trespass.
>
> Copyright applies when you author something, regardless of if you state > your
> name on it.

I can make any kind of claims of ownership of land that I want. Unless
I go to the county clerk's office and register my claim under my name,
they won't enforce my claim against anyone else.

But all theories of law aside, as a practical matter, if someone
hasn't bothered to decline, they're not going to bother to sue. You

The argument "hey, we understand we don't know if we have any right to use this data, buts lets leave it in and hope no one complains" doesn't sound a particularly moral one to me. It also seems to set a rather dangerous precedent.

have to consider what copyright law is for: it's a temporary monopoly
granted to protect revenue. If there's no potential for restricting
distribution under CC-By-SA, and there's no potential for restricting
distribution under the OdBL, what loss in revenue has anybody
suffered? What nutcase is going to bother to sue anybody over
distributing under one free license versus a different free license
where neither one has the potential for proprietary distribution?
Nobody's making money here, and it costs money to sue. A LOT of
money. No lawyer is going to take your case on unless there are
punitive or actual damages.

Worst comes to worse, you claim innocent infringement because you
thought you were distributing under fair use, you delete the offending
data, and life goes on. In other words, the worst a lawsuit is going
to cost the OSMF is THE HARM IT'S VOLUNTARILY DOING TO ITSELF.

Your worse case sounds so harmless. Of course it's possible to sketch an alternative worse case scenario:

At some time in the future after being asked to delete the offending data, the data is deleted and ... ...

a) all those contributors who had made edits to that data after 1 April 2012 get very annoyed because they see the results of their work deleted., and when they query this they are told "hey, its a risk we thought we'd take, and by the way we may have to delete a load more data in the future, so be careful what bits of OSM you edit".

b) users of OSM data get very annoyed because having seen masses of data disappear once, they suddenly see masses of data disappear again, and when they query this they are told "hey, its a risk we thought we'd take, and by the way we may have to delete a load more data in the future, so be careful which bits of OSM data you use".

David

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog