> From: Lester Caine [mailto:les...@lsces.co.uk]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Komuna e Malishevës, Serbia ?
>
> Mike Dupont wrote:
> > 2012/4/1 Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk <mailto:les...@lsces.co.uk>>
> >
> >     Altin Ukshini wrote:
> >
> >         Does anyone care about these reports ?
> >         I said it before and I'm saying it again, we can't
> monitor/administer
> >         the map
> >         everyday and you know this, we don't even have enough people
> >         contributing in OSM
> >         here in Kosovo and Serbians are using this opportunity to
> change
> >         whatever they
> >         want in the map.
> >
> >         I don't think that you might want to loose contributors from
> Kosovo !?
> >         You have to report these violations... how much will this last
> until someone
> >         makes a decision ?
> >         We have already reported so many violations till now.

If you have reports of vandalism that the local community can't deal with,
send them to d...@osmfoundation.org. Include lists of objects and
changesets. Without those you can't tell who changed what.

> >     'Location' is somewhat hit or miss everywhere. My own diary
> postings give
> >     some strange textual descriptions of where they were supposed to
> be located.
> >     The problem here is simply that there is no clear mechanism for
> identifying
> >     'where' a location is, so until all of the relevant boundaries are
> mapped
> >     and tested in the same way as the intensive effort on getting the
> coastline
> >     complete it is going to be difficult to fix some of these
> irritations.
> >
> >     I've given up asking for a proper check on hierarchy place and
> is_in which
> >     would at least get towns in the right country ... rather than
> relying on the
> >     mapped boundaries ...
> >

> > this has changed, it used to be kosovo.
> > it needs to be fixed, please.
>
> My point is ... does anybody actually know where it is broken?
> It is not the 'is_in' tag ... that isn't used to determine location ...
> last time I tried looking at this problem in the UK nobody seemed to
> know how the location was ACTUALLY generated :( It looks to the
> 'administrative boundaries'
> areas and so presumably someone has been playing with them? It's a pain
> trying to find what has been 'modified' ...
>
> ( No bloody politics here RB !!! )

The best way I've found to debug the location information is to look up the
location on http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org

For the example diary entry linked, this gives you
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=4568477

This tells you that the place is a place=hamlet node in the
boundary=administrative relation "Komuna e Malishevës"
(http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=128946600)

Now it gets complicated. The node is within three admin_level=2 or
admin_level=3 boundaries.
These are:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2088990 with name:en="Kosovo
and Metohija" admin_level=2 created March 18th

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/53295 with name:en="Kosovo and
Metohija" admin_level=2 created 2008. The admin_level started off as 3, was
changed to 2 in July 2010 and back to admin_level=3 Feb 2012. The name was
also changed from Kosovo to Kosovo and Metohija at the same time (in all
languages).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1741311 with name:en="Serbia"
admin_level=2 created in 2011.

Because regenerating all of the address data inside a country would be too
much of a performance drain, they are cached for large boundary objects.

My guess is what happened is at some point in the past the 53295 relation
was broken and Nominatim cached it.