I finally found out what the issue is with this [1] situation. My issue with it is that IMHO it is not good to see the unclassified road rendered on top of the primary_link road. I made a test here [2] where the left primary is a primary_link and the right primary is a primary proper. Apparently mapnik's renderering rules state that primary_link roads should be rendered below unclassified roads. I haven't inspected the rendering rules in detail (I'm also not familiar with them) but I have seen that tertiary_link roads are also rendered below unclassified roads. I expect that any *_link road is rendered below any other (or at least motorway - unclassified) road.

Is this behaviour of mapnik wanted? As I said: IMHO it is not pleasing to the eye to see the unclassified road rendered on top of the primary_link road. In order of priority, a *_link road is just below its * counterpart but above the next lower road (so primary -> primary_link -> secondary).

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.352555&lon=6.014996&zoom=18
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.352419&lon=6.010627&zoom=18

Regards,
Maarten