At 2012-05-28 05:02, Mike N wrote:
On 5/27/2012 2:53 PM, Alan wrote:
As I discussed with you, I am no longer uploading data with the tag and will
I object.

An ID tag is highly useful for future reconciliation and/or synchronization later.

I used to agree with you, but in terms of minimum labor, updates are best performed by retaining the original upload data, then doing a conflation between the original data and a later update. That will highlight only changes from the original source, and only those differences will need to be manually merged into OSM.

Except you won't see possible errors introduced after the first import by OSM editors. I think it's useful to see the diff between the current state of both databases.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>