Am 03.08.2012 12:55, schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:
On 3 August 2012 11:07, Peter Wendorff <wendo...@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
Moreover, having unpredictable mix in 'name' will degrade quality of
any navigational maps or geocoding.
While I cannot say anything regarding your other points, and, to be clear, I
don't oppose you in general, I would like to disagree with this argument:
Having an unpredictable mix in name will not degrade quality of anything, as
long as you provide the "languaged" tags, too.
Of course. The thing is, that we (overall Ukrainian community) do care
about having all three languages in toponyms (Russian, Ukrainan,
English), while the edit war started by silently killing Ukrainian.

Which brings another question:

What does everyone think if we go through all Ukraine and copy name
tag with Ukrainian in it into name:uk? This will be a huge
semi-automated task. Any opinions?
If it's clear that with that ukrainian goes to name:uk, I'm pretty sure that will be a good choice - and that's what I proposed here. And: I'm sure if anybody deletes name:uk, without the values being wrong (e.g. because your semi automated edit wrongly copied a russian name from name to name:uk ;) ), that would be opposed by a strong majority all over the world.

The generic name tag is more difficult and has to be solved otherwise; as I think Fred still mentioned, in the Palestine/Israel region there was the situation where in fact name was deleted completely and only the two "conflicting" name:he and name:ar (I think, while I'm not sure) had been kept.

Thus: deleting name:uk containing correct values before is seen as clear vandalism, so go for it and use the localized variants at least.

regards
Peter