Hi Tobias,

>  * Will yo make the source code for the website freely available, and do
>  you plan to accept outside contributions?
Matthias mentioned in his answer that this is not planned yet, but in fact I
like this idea very much and certainly we would love to welcome outside
contributions.
At the moment it is just a matter of how much we can do this without running
into secrurity risks, because internal info of our server structure might be
released. I need to check this first...
We just haven't thought into this deeply enough how this can be realized
practically without giving too much control to our servers to the wild.
But if you or anybody else is interested in contributing one might do this also
on a more bilateral base.

 I'm a bit worried that this might be too strongly tied to the Heidelberg
 OSM-3D globe.

this is only true for the web based 3d visualization (and there is no other
global 3D OSM service around).
But of course anybody can download the data and use it however he likes. So
this web based 3D visualization is just an option to see the uploaded data live
together with the other OSM data.

all the best
alex
http://giscience.uni-hd.de