It seems that you generally apply the source-tag to the osm object instead of the changeset comment, but I'd propose to do it the other way round. There are already tens of millions of objects in the db with related source-tags http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=source+%3D+cadastre-dgi-fr and putting it into the changeset comment could possibly reduce the size of the objects tables in the db. This leads also to another question: how should a mapper deal with these source tags when he applies modifications to the object?
I suggest inheritance of source from the changeset, unless overridden by the object's source tag : let the changeset have an optional source attribute that applies to all the changeset's objects that do not have a source tag.

Editors such as JOSM could display a virtual source tag that contains information from its changeset's source attribute if it is present.

Have such schemes been proposed before ?