I like my eTrex 20 but it hasn't been error free. Most of the time it
provides good tracks. However at times it is off more than what I expect.
(the tracks to and from the same location should be close. At times they
differ more than 10m.) I have lost one long hike. It recorded just the last
half, which could have been my fault.  I mainly use it in the mountains
hiking so the mountains and forest may be impacting the accuracy.

What I do like is the micro sd card slot. I can load the entire us osm
garmin map on my sd card and set it to be the default background. Battery
life seems good, but I always carry extra cells just in case I've left it
on.  I don't think there is an auto shutoff feature.

Screen is small but ok for using with osm. The tiny joy stick isn't much
fun to use, especially entering way point notes.  So I usually just abr. br
for bridge, rr for rest rooms, etc.

Clifford

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Has anyone compared the etrex20 to the gpsmap 60Csx regarding
> positional accuracy? Recently got strange problems on my 60Csx (can
> turn it on, but when turned off it won't switch on again unless I
> remove the batteries for a second, and I suspect it also continues to
> consume electricity while "turned off". Another issue which appeared
> at the same time: when I switch it on, "show on road" is always turned
> on which is not suitable for OSM track recording, and I think to
> recall that before this setting was "remembered" by the device).
>
> I fear it will break completely the next time so was looking for a new
> device and spotted the etrex 20. Would you recommend it for track
> recording?
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Clifford

I have promised to cut down on my swearing and drinking, which I have.
 Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless. Adapted
from *The Lion* by Nelson DeMille

-or-

 Albert Einstein