Hi there,

My experience in Japan is that the junctions are named, but not oriented.  You
give directions by saying 'go down this street and turn left at NAME
junction'.  Or 'take the third right after NAME junction'.  Or if you are
looking at a map, some junction names are shown, which makes it possible to
follow a route by looking up for signs, and carefully counting the streets
you pass.

The addressing system in Japan is not based on the crossroads name however.
It's a block-based system.  The block has a name, and sub-blocks are
numbered, and entrances are numbered around the edge of the block (I'm
skipping a lot of detail[1]).

In Korea, again, junctions are not oriented.  Just named.  If you are driving,
your satnav will announce the junction name that you are to take.  If you
look out, you will see a sign with the name.  Again, with maps, the junction
names are printed, which makes it easy to look around, see the signs, and
locate yourself on the map.

The Korean address system used to be block-based, but now uses named streets
with odd/even numbered houses on opposite sides of the road.

Best wishes,

Andrew

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system