On 2013-03-05 16:22, Jochen Topf wrote:
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 09:57:31AM -0500, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
I worked on an Ozone monitoring instrument briefly in my career, and
my understanding is that the polar ice caps change often.

No, they don't change all that much. Of course they change a little bit all the time, the ice cap moves about 10m a year at the South Pole for instance, and sometimes large icebergs break off from the shelf-ice, but for the resolution we are talking about here, the resolution interesting for OSM, they are
basically static.

Are you proposing that we change them every N months?

No.

If so, I think we have better solutions at our disposal than trying to
delete/reimport huge areas like this.

This is a misunderstanding. The reason the old data is bad is not that
Antarctica changed so much between then and now. I don't know why the old data is so bad, maybe it is because satellite images etc. have improved
since then so better data could be derived.

In the beginning the coastline was very coarse. So much that the then current algorithm of generating tiles (especially for T@H) sometimes didn't find data to work with (because nodes were so far apart) so it rendered an empty tile. I did a lot of work making it more precise according to the aerials available. I haven't checked in recent years how it correlates to current aerials.

Regards,
Maarten