There seems to be a polygon search which lets you specify an arbitrary
bounding polygon. This should have the same function as a search for a
closed way, given the proper polygon coordinates. This means either
you can create the polygon yourself based on the coordinates of the
way or it ought to be possible to create a search request for objects
in a way without having to calculate those areas ahead of time.

This doesn't handle multipolygons, but the existing area call looks
like it can do that.

Dave