I don't know if the authors of this paper are members in this mailing
list, but, in any case, I recommend this very well done study
http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/l.capra/publications/icwsm13.pdf
It talks about the effect of the mapping party (made in the city  of
London) in openstreet Improve map

In summary:
- the mapping party map improve the data of OpenStreetMap and create enthusiasm
- the users already  active have a surge in the activity to inserting data
- the users with a long experience don't insert data
(but it 's thought that the problem is because they are committed in
the organization)
- the new people involved during the mapping party, in most cases,
lose the interest to continue to inserting data