On 2013-05-25 07:09, James Mast wrote:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/collapsed-i-5-bridge-gone-google-maps-almost-quickly-it-6C10067906
[1]

If I remember correctly, we had it marked as "access=no" and the
segment removed about an hour faster than on Google. Somebody needs to
get ahold of Rosa from NBC (who did the "article") and let them know
about OSM pawning Google here.

Google is known by the public.
Recently there was an important addition to the motorways around Amsterdam here [1] (opening of the A5, 2e Coentunnel). Google didn't have correct maps until 1,5 week afterwards. Of course OSM had correct maps almost instantly (it was only unfortunate that there was a small error and that osrm only updates once a week).

Maybe we need to be more vocal and send out messages to various news sites when a new road is opened and it is on OSM and not on Google.

[1] <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.4046&lon=4.8371&zoom=14&layers=M>

Regards,
Maarten