On Friday 12 July 2013, Maxim Rylov wrote:

> As far as I know Mapnik and other open-source software take into
> account only the rules R1, R2 and R5 (partially, returns labels that
> are evenly spread out, example - http://maps.skobbler.com/on z11).
> And the "greedy" algorithm that is utilized to solve the label
> placement problem returns rather poor approximation to the optimum as
> there is no backtracking.

I see - Mapnik labeling is well known to be quite bad so it is not
really a good competition.  But you have not said which of these rules
are followed by your method.  There seems to be an (only partially
successful) attempt in R3 and R4 but R8 does not seem to play a role.
R1 in several cases seems to work better in Mapnik.

> > Is the algorithm available as open source?
>
> Unfortunately, the algorithm currently is not open-source, but the
> model that we elaborated and used will be published as a journal
> paper within the next few months.

Well - Peter has already commented on this and i mostly agree with him.

But i would actually emphasize a more practical point: Since this is
meant to be scientific research one can assume you publish it to allow
others to independently verify your work, compare it to their own and
possibly improve it - this is in the very definition of scientific
work.  When dealing with fairly complex algorithms like here this is
next to impossible to do without publishing the code.

Now i understand you might be reluctant to make available the code
before a journal publication and you would not necessarily need to make
it open source/free software license wise although this would be
advisable as a matter of fairness when extensively using Openstreetmap
data.

And i won't even get started on the fact that work of a publicly funded
research institution should benefit the public...

Greetings,

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/