On 2013-09-12 10:07, Lester Caine wrote:
Johan C wrote:
Unfortunately not available everywhere yet, but as a step towards becoming the best map in the world: after the publication of open address data in the Netherlands two years ago, starting this month open traffic data will be available in The Netherlands http://www.ndw.nu/pagina/nl/103/datalevering/ This will mean that OSM navigation apps will be able to outperform TomTom due to the better road quality. Hopefully the rest of Europe can follow soon. This would inevitably mean headlines in major newspapers and therefore a huge increase in
mappers. Let's rock!

It always amuses me that 'the cloud' was originally about using all of
the spare processing power available and sharing out problems. Since
the majority of sat nav's are now smart devices, why can't they all be
reporting back the average speed where they are so we can
automatically map the current traffic hot spots? To my mind that is
the next logical step for the routing software?
Of cause some will complain about 'privacy' but personally I'd be
happy for people to know where I am, so a permanent sat nav in the car
rather than one in my pocket makes even more sense if I want to know
where my car has gone ;)

That is already being done with cellphones: [1] (dutch).
The problem with conventional sat-nav is that they were not connected to the could. Only recently cellphones (smartphones) have become powerful and usable enough to be used for navigation. Furthermore: it requires an active data connection, something I don't have or want (and I'm probably not the only one, no I don't want everyone to know where I am).
GSM is a much better tool for this anyway.
Traffic information was always sent to satnav devices using FM.

[1] <http://verkeer.wikia.com/wiki/Verkeersmonitoring_met_Floating_Car_Data_via_GSM>

Maarten