Russ Nelson wrote:
We need to make sure that the Wikipedia deletionism doesn't take hold
within OSM. Because, if I have to spend time defending the data I've
already entered, that will take away from my effort to enter new
data.
And a lot of wikipedia articles still have pointless complaints attached about threats to delete material where THEY are the best authority for storing the original data. OSM is a similar 'unique' archive of material!

> In case you think I'm blowing smoke out my butt (who the hell
blows smoke out their butt??), I've entered about 90% of the lakes in
NY that are there, and about 50% of the rivers and streams that I have
looked for (so far). I've aligned the TIGER data in about 7
counties. It's a huge amount of work that nobody else is doing, and it
would be a shame if I had to stop people from deleting what I've
already done.

I stand firm against deletionism!
There should not be a 'delete' mechanism at all, only one which can amend or archive so that we can SEE the historic development of the information! This is as valuable as the CURRENT view ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL