On Thursday 07 November 2013, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> and similar ways? I am leaning towards at least stripping them of the
> natural=coastline (because they aren't) and of the name tag. If not
> delete them altogether.

As far as I know osmcoastline is currently only able to close the
Antarctica coastline on its own and not other open ends further north.
So these are currently needed for correct processing.  The Antarctica
closure segments exist as well (being split into several ways recently
and thereby complicating things a bit) but they are tagged
coastline=bogus to allow closing at different limits depending on the
coordinate system used.

Ideally none of these would be in the database (because as you said
there is no coastline there).

On the other hand you could of course also argue the same way that
multipolygons extending across the 180°-Meridian should also be
possible...

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/