On Tuesday 07 January 2014, andrzej zaborowski wrote:

> The problem with potrace is that it needs exact colours without the
> imperfections of paper drawings and scanner noise.  I imagine the
> NYPL tool is better adapted to scanned material.

Well - i have not tested it so i can't really tell.

In general i think filtering an image to create a plain b&w mask from a
noisy color drawing is a task completely different and well separable
from vectorization.  I am usually a fan of the Unix philosophy of
having separate tools for different tasks.

One real shortcoming of potrace is that it can only deal with two
different area types (i.e. two colors) - if anyone knows an open source
tools with a similar feature set that does not have this limitation i
would be eager to hear.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/