On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 08:44:54PM +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2014, Richard Z. wrote:
> >
> > oh yes. You can say the same about a forrest and almost anything in
> > the real world.
>
> No, continuously changing properties exist for many features including
> for example the transit from wood to grassland but climate zones in
> addition have the problem of only being defined in the long term
> average.  You will be able to determine the density of trees growing in
> some area at any single point of time without much effort and can use
> this as a basis to verifiably decide if this is a wood or not.  But you
> will need to measure the temperature for many years to approximately
> determine the long term average.  Precipitation is even trickier.

despite beeing sometimes tricky I still consider it pretty important to know
that a certain area is eg part of the tundra climate, permafrost or monsoon.

And when hiking on Kauai I would pretty sure want to have this information
handy:
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/topics/ecosystem_processes/tropical/restoration/lifezone/hawaii/Kauai.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-D7UQYrsMu24/UVuvQS7In1I/AAAAAAAAPp4/TNzHyYeWlZw/s1600/kauai-smaller-map.gif

- everything from rain forrest to desert within few miles.

Richard