On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson <j...@betra.is>wrote:

> I personally subscribe to new OSM users feed for two countries which I'm
> focused on and check out their first edits, these are not high activity
> countries so perhaps others have more problems but so far none appears to
> be harmful, the opposite in fact, drive-by mappers that would be lovely to
> cajole into active mappers, or even zealous mappers!

I watch new mappers in my area as well. One of the community colleges has
an introductory GIS course that has the students map nearby. I've never
seen any problems with their edits. I've emailed the instructor to see how
the community could help with the course material. And one of these days we
are going to sit down over coffee to discuss possibilities.

When I first read the original message I thought about classes we all give
in how to edit with iD to new mappers. There is really isn't much
difference between a GIS class assignment and a community member teaching
iD. New mappers make mistakes. It's better when they have a knowledgeable
person giving the instruction and feedback. Since the vast majority of new
mappers only get the the online introduction, I suspect those in a
classroom setting might initially do a better job.

Unfortunately I have no data to back up my thoughts. I would challenge the
DWG to share with the community their data on why they are bring up this
topic.

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us