I understand that this is an open source project with volunteer contributions,
but that part actually WAS already functional for years. Would it be possible
to get the old browsing and history pages back, at least until someone comes up
with an improvement?
Some people view the new pages as an improvement. Some don't. There's no universal opinion.

Is there support for such a partial rollback?
Leaving aside if it's a good idea, to do such a rollback would require someone coding it. I really doubt any of the people normally involved in coding on the rails port are interested, and I suspect it's not a trivial revert.